CareersMaybe STEM Isn’t The Only Future For America’s Youth

Kaleb AmareAugust 31, 2018

A quick glance at most postgraduate studies on income seems to confirm what most people already believe; that STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) majors are by and large the most profitable fields of study. Inversely, many humanities majors such as English, History, Philosophy, and Religion, often struggle to find both employment and higher paying salaries by comparison. In line with these benefits, the popularity of STEM majors is skyrocketing, experiencing rapid growth in the past couple of years, reaching up to 43% in the past decade. With all numbers pointing towards STEM, why bother to major in the humanities?

Image result for philosophy

The answer may not be as straightforward as you might think. In reality, the specific undergraduate degree a student might get is far less important than the skills gained in college and how to apply them. Unlike the quantitative approach that STEM majors often have, the humanities approach have a far more analytical technique of teaching that many STEM majors miss out on. Literary analysis, critical thinking, communication and problem-solving are fields that many humanities graduates are well prepared in. In fact, many humanities majors go on to grad school at a higher rate than their peers in STEM classes, leading to higher mid-career pay than many pre-professional majors, like business and nursing.

Despite the growing popularity of STEM majors, humanities have actually been rising in both salary and employment rates. Studies have shown that unemployment rates for humanities majors have decreased from 5% to 4% in the past 2 years and the significant income gap between STEM and humanities majors is closing quickly.

The success of STEM majors has led to a corresponding hole in the skills and abilities that humanities majors can fill. A civil engineer is in high demand for his/her ability to build a road or a sewer system, but a philosophy major can be in equally high demand.

No one can deny the allure of most STEM majors. Profitable, prestigious and rapidly growing, STEM is a choice few can go wrong with. However, it’s important not to forget the importance of the humanities, and their value to society and in today’s world.

So as millions of young adults choose their major this fall, just remember your options may not be as black and white as you might think.

Kaleb Amare

14 comments

• men seeking

October 14, 2018 at 3:01 am

I spent four years trying EVERYTHING in Online Dating, and through a huge amount of trial and error, I produced a system that I will share for you. This book will take you, step by step, through everything you need to know to double, triple or even quadruple the number of women you meet online.

• free online dating chat

October 14, 2018 at 7:28 am

October 17, 2018 at 9:34 am

Like!! I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your information. The article has truly peaked my interest.

• 勢將掀起熱潮 Supreme x Lacoste 2018 春夏聯乘系列細節公開 Marie Claire (HK) Edition 近年Supreme好像中了聯乘毒,繼去年與Louis Vuitton首度攜手合作後,Supreme近日聯乘行李箱品牌Rimowa,據說現在的炒價已經接近二萬三千元港幣,只可以說Supreme的粉絲真夠

• free love dating site

November 1, 2018 at 7:56 am

I travel all around the world for work, and it used to be really lonely. Now I can go onto Tinder and have a date lined up in a new city before I even get out of the airport!

• jordan shoes

November 2, 2018 at 2:10 pm

you will have an awesome blog right here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

• jordan shoes

November 3, 2018 at 12:50 am

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thanks Nonetheless I am experiencing subject with ur rss . Don抰 know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting an identical rss drawback? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

• air max

November 3, 2018 at 4:22 pm

I抎 must examine with you here. Which isn’t something I usually do! I get pleasure from reading a post that can make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

• nike rose

November 4, 2018 at 3:08 am

Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don抰 know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting similar rss drawback? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

• Football Solutions Women's Under-19 - Teams

November 4, 2018 at 11:18 am

Eden Hazard has listed Real Madrid and Arsenal as possible future destinations should he ever leave Lille, despite interest from a host of other clubs including Liverpool. Eden Hazard rules out Liverpool move claiming he has eyes only for Real Madrid and Arsenal

• yeezy boost 350

November 4, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you may take away me from that service? Thanks!